Monday, January 17, 2005

The Politics of Pizza

The Minister of Immigration, Judy Sgro, is gone by resignation last week, although one suspects that Prime Minister Democratic Deficit, a.k.a. Paul Martin, may have had something to do with encouraging her conversion to altruism. It would not have been good for the Liberal exercise of Canadian democracy to have such an easy target in the House, when the zoo resumes sitting at the end of January.

Judy Sgro stands accused of trading free pizza for her election campaign in exchange for favouritism from her department for a man many times denied appeals to his sentence of deportation. Guilty as charged? I don't know. Was it all Ms. Sgro's fault? Probably not, but she has earned the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune by her adherence to the credo of corruption that has characterized her party and its governments for past decades. Her (former) Department of Immigration is arguably the most prone to political patronage at its most basic level. "Support me and I will make a new life for you and your family(ies) .......or, not".

Liberal governments, and members and ministers thereof, have been using the human proceeds of immigration as vote pools for decades, and nothing is about to change, unless voters decide to change it. It was suggested that, during the 2004 federal election campaign, the Deputy Prime Minister may have "encouraged" Edmontonians of Asian descent that a vote for her opponent might have a deleterious impact on their efforts at family reunification. No threat there, I'm sure, just friendly advice. I wasn't at that meeting but I know of those who were.

The fact that Canada's immigration and refugee programs are out of control is well established. For all of the well-intentioned motives behind looking after those who reach our shores in search of a better life and an escape from tyranny and persecution, Canada has lost control of the process. The consequences of that failure are well understood by others, most notably Americans, who stand to suffer from our weakness.

At last count, there was something like 37,000 refugee claimants who have never showed up for their hearings. No doubt, the vast majority of that number are just folks trying to find a better way of life. There is also no doubt that there is a percentage of that number who are here specifically to do evil to our way of life, or that of our neighbours. If it's only two percent, that's 740 people whom we may come to know as "terrorists". I put terrorist in quotations, because the media loves to portray them as various other things in other scenarios, such as insurgents, militants, rebels and reactionaries. They are TERRORISTS, plain and simple.

I'm not sure that anyone should feel sorry for Judy Sgro. She showed her real political prowess and maturity with her childish stalking and
harassment of Stephen Harper during the 2004 election campaign. She is
simply symptomatic of large-L liberalism in Canada. That is embodied in the Liberal Party of Canada that has received donations, over the years, from strange sources. The inquisitive blogger at www.whatittakestowin.blogspot.com has uncovered some interesting tidbits from the Elections Canada website.

Canadian taxpayers unknowingly contributed directly to the Liberal Party of Canada when Jean Chrétien was Leader of the Official Opposition in 1993 ($60,000), and when he was Prime Minister in 1997 ($43,000). These contributions came from offices paid for by taxpayers and not at liberty to make such contributions. The taxpayers of the Town of Drayton Valley and the City of Edmonton have also made contributions to the Liberal Party of Canada, and to no other parties. I'm betting that they don't know that. Non-profit and charitable organizations, including children’s charities, children’s hospitals and the Calgary Zoo have contributed substantially to the Liberal Party of Canada. They can't even use the tax break, so what's up with that? Do you know where your charity dollars are going? Is Paul Martin’s reluctance to ban the Tamil Tigers as a terrorist organization, as our allies have done, tied to votes and donations? Surely not?

Is this the tip of another iceberg of Liberal corruption? You bet it is. Will Canadians ever care enough to do something about it at the polls? I sure hope so. In the meantime, would you like wings with that pizza, Minister?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jung-Suk Ryu said...

Although I may not share 100% of your views or opinions, I just thought I'd drop a line telling you that your blog is a great read and is always in-depth.

I always have my doubts that any political party in power will never commit any corrupt acts. But of course it doesn't make everything right, does it?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jung-Suk Ryu said...

Although I may not share 100% of your views or opinions, I just thought I'd drop a line telling you that your blog is a great read and is always in-depth.

I always have my doubts that any political party in power will never commit any corrupt acts. But of course it doesn't make everything right, does it?

9:26 PM  
Blogger James Raymond said...

I can definitely relate to that. Before considering much else, I pretty much decided that Canadian immigration is my best option and although I have been tempted to reconsider from time to time, I can't help but think about how much the 2000 elections have changed things for us (and not for the better I'm affraid).

I really enjoy this blog, I'll be back!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Betfair Bettor said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Horse Racing and Sports site. It pretty much covers very related stuff to you.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home